The Central Zoo in Jawalakhel is the home of tiny insects; birds; large mammals with covered area of 6 hector and operates the National Endowment for the protection of nature (NTNC). Actually, this zoo was established though of hobby and a private place owned by daughter-in-law of “Juddha Samasher Rana” in 1956. This zoo is only one place where the various domestics and exotic species of wild animals are observed and managed by government of Nepal. Other small zoo are also established by local citizen in different places of Nepal but not observed and managed as Central zoo in Kathmandu.
Currently, Central Zoo features 214 mammals of 36 species, 377 birds of 52 species, 33 reptiles of 11 species, and 255 fish of 17 species. The zoo is not only a place to wild animals and leisure center, but is also the location of the historical and cultural importance for some of them. The zoo has a mission to raise public awareness about the protection of nature and education. Central Zoo receives approximately one million visitors per year.
During the “Bhoto Jatra” Festival is celebrated in the vicinity of the Zoo, zoo can be seen more than 34,000 visitors a day after coming to view the historical jeweled stone piece vest on top “Rato Machchhindranath Jatra”. The main source of income is the income obtained at the beginning of the ticket sales.
Central Zoo was established in 1932, Rana Prime Minister Juddha Shumser as private zoos and came under the control of the government in 1950. It was opened in 1956 and in December 1995 the government into the hands of responsibility zoos in the National Endowment for the protection of nature. Although the work is not complete, NTNC is upgrading of establishments to ensure that animals can live in larger bearing shells that mimics their natural environment. It is also in the zoo in research and training facilities and remains in the tourist attractions. The central pond at the zoo was built during the reign of King Siddhi Narsingh Malla and at the time was the source of water for the Toot.
The Zoo hosts approximately 870 animals of 109 species, including 15 38 endangered species including Royal Tigers Bengal tiger and one-horned rhinoceros and many animals from around the world including hippos -, siamang,: ostriches, many birds. Also includes aquarium fish subtropical flora.
A few years back, King Mahendra trust for nature protection (KMTNC), national non-governmental organizations supported by the government of Nepal, introduced a management plan for the zoo in support of the objectives of the conservation of the natural heritage of the country. The same management continues until today.
The lists of Mammals in zoo are:-
- Asian elephant
- Assam macaque
- Barking deer
- Blue bull
- Common langur
- Clouded leopard
- Indian crested porcupine
- Himalayan black bear
- Himalayan blue sheep
- Jungle cat,
- Leopard cat,
- Indian rhinoceros
- Bengal tiger
- Spotted deer
- Striped hyena
- Water buffalo
The lists of Reptiles in zoo are:-
- Aldabra tortoise
- Rock python
- Chinese alligator
- Monitor lizard
The lists of Birds in zoo are:-
- African grey parrot
- Demoiselle crane
- Black-necked stork
- Black-headed ibis
- Dusky eagle owl
- Eurasian eagle owl
- Steppe eagle
- Bar headed goose
- Grey heron
- Himalayan griffon
- Kalij pheasant
- Red-headed vulture
- Sarus crane
- Oriental pied hornbill
- Silver pheasant
- White-naped crane
- White pelican
- White-eyed buzzard
- Sulphur crested cockatoo
- White stork
The lists of Physical facilities in Zoo are:-
- Information counter
- Souvenir shop
- Paddleboat and rafting
- Picnic shed and Couple chairs
- Children ground for kids only
- Elephant ride
Rationale of the Case Study
In zoo is fun and at the same time contributing to the preservation of the does not provide any real solutions. Wild animals may only be imposed by protecting them from their own natural habitats and this means that we need to work with local communities and not against them.
The Zoo in the capital city has problems in the management of save animals entering into care due to lack of space for them. The Zoo and management is facing the challenges of managing space for rescuing animals, most save the arrival of animals in zoos sick and weak. So some die in the lack of treatment, and most of them send to national parks after treatment, while some took place in a zoo.
On the establishment of protected areas is not in itself sufficient to fully realize preservation. To promote the preservation of education is not just a dynamic activation key people toward sustainable resource consumption. The zoo has its own place in order to achieve this goal. But the poor understanding of people and problems in the area of the environment is not to hinder progress in many parts of the world and in the case of the zoo is no exception. Issues such as the lack of solid waste disposal, poor water supply and sanitation, often observed during the experimental research and the growing popularity of the zoo as a recreational center in the valley took the first writer to choose this problem as a major’s theory.
- In order to examine the current management structure, the financial arrangements and the problems with the central zoo.
- To determine the nature and structure of the visitors and the zonal distribution.
- In order to demonstrate the relationship between the costs of travel and the actual number of visits and the economic value of the zoo with the travel costs (TCM).
Key findings of the study
- Located in the heart of the valley, the zoo has excellent access to public transport and the most popular means of transport such as bus, pace, the microbus etc.
- The zoological garden was successful in raising awareness of the conservation through the preservation of friendly Zoo with in school children.
- The numbers of foreign visitors are small and are not satisfied with limited zoo. Local visitors are also concerned about the bad hygienic environment in the zoo. The majority of the respondents said adding new species of wild flora and fauna in the zoo, the extension of the zoo and environmental rehabilitation of hygiene.
- The zoological garden was partially successful in the increase in the number of inhabitants of endangered species using for breeding in captivity. Very recently, zoo has released several number of antelopes in religious Pashupati forest area.
- Since, the guests at the zoo comes from various revenue, zoo can investigate developments in many service levels with progressively higher charges. The simplest option is to enable the visitor to self-guided tour. The next level may include an update on the central station is a document on the zoo to help guests better plan. On the third level, the package may contain fully controlled together with soft drinks. This idea is to satisfy the needs of guests various socio-economic and cultural background. This would be a way to produce more funds for the zoo.
- Lighting Systems, zoo should be improved for evenings and zoo timetables must be increased. An alternative system of cleaning the zoo is necessary immediately and on Monday should be open for guests at the zoo.
- In addition to the slurry and the management of waste in the zoo includes remains fruit and food materials, plastics, paper, etc. are sold at the zoo and the market is in the vicinity of the zoo entrance portal. Zoo can import their nominal costs at a flea market. The funds generated should be used to improve the quality of the environment in the zoo.
- The unhealthy or emaciated animals and birds must be treated immediately or replaced. The Zoo should add more animals and birds in certain cases empty.
- The Zoo must increase the necessary equipment and develop appliances for observing, establish picnics and another meeting in the zoo, in accordance with the natural environment.